Are you new to Airbnb? If you’re creating an account for the first you can use my Airbnb referral link to get USD $40 off your first stay!
So, what exactly is Airbnb?
Airbnb is an online marketplace for travelers and hosts to find and list accommodation. This can range from renting out an entire home or apartment to a private room or even a shared room.
Travelers are able to search for accommodation for specific areas and dates. You can refine your search by specifying the:
- Room type – entire place, private room or shared room
- Price – range from minimum to maximum
- Size – number of bedrooms, bathrooms and/or beds
- Amenities – wireless Internet, TV, kitchen, pool, pets, etc.
- Property type – standard properties such as apartments, houses and bed & breakfasts, as well as non-standard accommodations such as castles, caves, igloos and tipis
- Host language – English, Spanish, French, etc., including sign language
- Keywords – if the traveler is looking for something specific, such as “oceanfront” or “close to Le Louvre”
I’ve used Airbnb in many different countries, and in my experience my hosts have all been extremely helpful, from taking me to their favorite lunch spot, to showing me how to use the public transportation system. A lot of times Airbnb hosts aren’t just looking for some extra cash, a lot actually want to be your friend and help you navigate their city.
When I was in Haiti I stayed in Airbnb rooms the entire time. One of my best experiences was staying in an ocean front bungalow with a Haitian family. I had my own private room and even created their own menu where I could order home-made Haitian food.
I believe that Airbnb allows you to have a more ‘authentic’ experience. Live as the locals do.
To create an account on Airbnb, my Airbnb referral link.